QUEBEC TURKEY (ABOUT 6 KG)
Turkey is the perfect feast to cook during the holidays. For the occasion, we offer you a tasty grain-fed Quebec turkey raised without antibiotics or hormones. For added character, stuff it with your favorite recipe.
- Place the raw turkey in a plastic, glass or stainless steel container
- Add cold water until it is completely covered
- Add 1 to 1.4% of the total weight (turkey + water) in salt
- Mix well so that the salt is completely dissolved *
* Instead of adding the salt directly to the container, mix it separately. To do this, take about 10% of the water that covers the turkey in a small saucepan. Heat it and add salt to it. Stir until completely dissolved and pour the mixture into the container where your turkey is.
The length of your brining period depends on the weight of your turkey. In general, we count 1 hour per pound of meat. In most cases, 24 hours of brining is adequate. But be careful not to exceed this time. This could make your meat less tender and too salty.
Cooking temperature: 82ºC
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 325ºF. For a 5 kg turkey, continue cooking for about 2 more hours or until the temperature inside the thigh is 80°C. Baste 2 or 3 times during cooking.
- Let your turkey rest out of the oven for about 20 minutes so that it gains the extra degrees.
- Serve and enjoy.