Quebec Berkshire pork shoulder
Since it's often found already transformed, the pork shoulder is not the first cut of pork you would think of when walking into a butcher shop. Known mainly as the rich and savoury roast or as the famous pulled pork of the southern United States, the pork shoulder is the type of cut that seems more complicated to cook than it actually is. The Berkshire pork shoulder is even more approachable. Thanks to the unique marbling of fat and the high quality of its breeding, our Quebec pork shoulders are great on the grill. Roast it or braise it if you want to, but you don’t have to. There is no need to slow-cook such wonderful meat in order to enjoy it.
Berkshire pork is a very different breed of pork than the ones usually found on the market. This breed of pork is above all chosen for its marbled flesh and the higher pH level which makes its meat darker, more flavourful and more tender than the conventional pork such as the Duroc and the Yorkshire.
We choose to work with farmers that raise their pork on free-range pasture, without growth hormones or antibiotics and with as little stress as possible. This breeding practice focused on respect for the animal's well-being allows for optimal meat quality while promoting sustainability.
Cooking time : minimum 3,5 hours at 325ºF
- Take out and temper the meat about 15 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Generously salt the pork shoulder.
- Sear the meat over medium-high heat until evenly browned in an ovenproof pot.
- Add in an aromatic broth of your choice.
- Bring the preparation to a boil.
- Cover and roast in the oven for a minimum of 3,5 hours or until the meat can be easily pulled apart with a fork.
- Serve and enjoy.